Craving Chicken Rice? Here Are Some of the Best Chicken Rice Places in Klang Valley!
If the Americans have burgers and fries, we have chicken rice. It’s the proverbial local comfort food. It’s something your Grandma made on those rainy Sunday afternoons, it’s the thing your Dad ‘tapau’-ed home for dinner, it’s the thing you ate in college when you were close to broke.
It’s simple, yet satisfying. Chicken that’s steamed, roasted or braised is served with fragrant, fluffy and savoury rice. It’s no wonder we crave this homely taste every now and then. These are the spots around the Klang Valley where you can go for a familiar taste.
- Kam Kee Chicken Rice
Kam Kee has been in operation since 1997 around the Petaling Street area. Right now they’re at the historic Jalan Sultan. Their main meat is steamed chicken or ‘Pak Cham Gai’ and soft chicken rice that’s always served steaming hot.
Apart from steamed and roasted chicken, they also offer roasted pork and barbecued pork. For vegetables, they have bean sprouts and stir fried long beans. If you fancy being adventurous, curry mutton and asam fish are on the menu too.
- Address: 42, Jalan Sultan, 50000, City Center, Kuala Lumpur
- Opening hours: 9.30am -11pm, Closed on Wednesdays
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kamkeechickenrice
- Nam Heong Chicken Rice
Nam Heong is another chicken rice shop that has grown up in the Chinatown area of KL. It has been dishing out bowls of chicken and rice since 1938. These 80 years of experience have given them the edge they need to turn the brand into a fine dining experience.
Apart from their original location at a traditional Jalan Sultan shophouse, they also have outlets at IOI Mall and Desa Sri Hartamas. For an extra treat, do try out their stewed yams with pork belly slices and double boiled soups which are rarely found at other chicken rice establishments.
- Address: 56, Jalan Sultan,50000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Opening hours: Daily, 11am-3pm
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namheongchickenrice/
- Nasi Ayam Chee Meng (Halal)
This Bukit Bintang shop stands out as it offers authentic and succulent Hainanese chicken rice with completely Halal certified ingredients.
Besides the steamed and roasted chicken sets, they also offer various halal Chinese dishes, like steamed beancurd, kung po prawns, lemon chicken and wanton noodles. There are also Thai dishes offered here for that added variety.
- Address: 50, Jalan Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Opening hours: Daily, 11am – 9pm
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nasiayamcheemeng/
- Seng Kee Chicken Rice
If you’re in the Damansara Uptown area, Seng Kee is here for a dependable and familiar plate of chicken rice. Roasted and steamed chicken are available, as well as juicy roasted and barbecued pork belly.
The icing on the cake is most definitely their in-house tangy red chili sauce and minced garlic sauce that has taken decades to perfect.
- Address: 14, Jalan SS21/58, Uptown Damansara Utama, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
- Opening hours: Daily, 9am-9.30pm
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SengKeeChickenRice/
- Kee Kee Bentong Chicken Rice
Kee Kee Chicken Rice stall is located in a larger hawker restaurant call Yat Yeh Hing which doubles up as a seafood ‘tai chow’ at night. You’ll have to get here early for lunch as the queue starts at 10.45am.
Their chickens come in the usual roasted or steamed versions. You’ll notice that the steamed chicken has a slightly deeper yellow skin, and this is because they use corn-fed chicken, which has much more tender flesh.
- Address: No.33, Jalan SS4D/2, Taman People's Park, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
- Opening hours: 11am-3pm
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kee-Kee-Bentong-Chicken-Rice-261171060581385/
- Ban Huat Heng Coffee Shop
Ban Huat Heng is your typical neighbourhood chicken rice kopitiam where you can savour a yummy plate of chicken rice for less than RM6. There are also some bean sprouts, steamed tofu and fishball soup to accompany your meal.
They’re open all the way from breakfast until dinner, but be prepared for it to become really crowded at lunch time.
- Address: CG8 Block C, Happy Mansion Apartment, Jalan 17/13, Seksyen 17, 46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor D.E.
- Opening hours: Mondays- Fridays, 7.30am-3.30pm, 6pm-9pm. Saturday-Sunday 7.30am-3.3pm
- Facebook: Ban Huat Heng Coffee Shop
The great thing about chicken rice is that it can be enjoyed at any time of the day, whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This versatile meal is great for sharing too and is definitely one of the dishes that define us as Malaysians.