Marking its 4th year in existence on 1st May 2018, The Crackhouse Comedy Club KL presents over a week’s worth of laughter from 23rd April to 1st May 2018 with the best of local and international stand-up comedy, improv and workshops. Some of the names that will be featured are Ahmed Ahmed (US), AiiA Improv, Alex Calleja (PH) Douglas Lim, GB Labrador (PH), Jason Leong, Papi Zak, Peter Berner (AUS), Phoon Chi Ho, Rizal van Geyzel and more.
Crackhouse is Malaysia’s first dedicated comedy club showcasing the best of local, regional and international comics with four shows a week. The club has hosted international names such as Paul Ogata, Tamer Kattan and Tom Rhodes as well as established Malaysian comics such as Harith Iskander and Douglas Lim. The club opened in 2014 and is founded by Rizal van Geyzel and Shankar Santhiram, together with two others who have since, left. Crackhouse is sought after by regulars and first timers as the go-to for edgy, unpretentious and hilarious acts.
The Club will host one show per night priced individually as well as in an ‘All Access Pass’ package. Here’s a look at what to expect starting TONIGHT.
Check out any of the events mentioned by also visiting: https://thecitylist.my/whats-on
23 APRIL: Comedy Death Race! 30 Comedians!
30 Comedians perform 5 minutes to risk getting THE GONG by vote of Red Cards from the audience. Surviving comics get voted who is best by getting stress balls thrown at them. Sounds weird enough? The overall top winner walks away with cash prize of RM500! Get ready for a wild adrenaline comedy rush!
24 APRIL: AiiA Improv Jam! An Improv Comedy Workshop!
Have you always wanted to try improv? Now's your chance! AIIA IMPROV JAM! Where everyone gets to get up on stage and stretch their improv muscles. Open to anyone who can get together for a nice improvising jam! We'll be going through some fundamental Improv excercises and games; all in the spirit of fun, failing, and failing better! So if you ever wanted to try your hand at improv, or are already an improviser/performer/actor but just wanted to 'get back into it' AIIA IMPROV JAM is just the thing for you. AIIA : Artificially Intelligent Improvaholics Anonymous (MALAYSIA) is a local based improv troupe formed in 2007 and has been performing regularly at Crackhouse Comedy Club and several arts festivals around Malaysia. Consisting of 6 members; Amelia Chen, Ashraf Zain, Farah Rani, Iedil Putra, Jit Yang and Shamaine Othman.
25 APRIL: The Real Kings of Komedi! Make Bahahasa Funny Again!
The Best of Malay and English Comedy Showcase with a diverse line up including some of the top Malay speaking features from the weekend shows; Ayem Razak, JD, M. Sabah, Nizam, Rayza Mukmin and Fiza.
26 APRIL: Douglas Lim feat. Gajen Nad
For Malaysians this man needs no introduction - Douglas is a household name and a hugely popular stand-up comedian and actor (1957 – Hati Malaya, Los & Faun, spontan, TenTenTen, Kopitiam, Homecoming, Lat the Musical, P.Ramlee the Musical, Tunku the Musical, Broken Bridges and recently acclaimed Ola Bola The Musical).
Douglas is now stepping into the international circuit starting last year at the prestigious Melbourne International Comedy Festival under Comedy Zone Asia 2017 and his very own solo show "This Is Nice" - both of which received high reviews.
27 APRIL: Malaysia vs Singapore Improv Battle! (w/ AiiA & The Latecomers)
AIIA : Artificially Intelligent Improvaholics Anonymous (MALAYSIA): AIIA Improv will have you at the edge of your seat as they battle it out with challenging games and mini musicals. Completely unscripted, dangerous and heartfelt, anything and everything can happen.
The Latecomers Improv (SINGAPORE): Late to the game, on time with the punchlines, The Latecomers are the latest international improvisational comedy troupe to be based in Singapore. Founded in 2014, they create songs, sketches and memorable characters on the spot, based on suggestions from the audience and their own wondrous minds. They were the first improv group to perform at the Singapore Comedy Fringe in 2017 and have performed in Shanghai, Manila, Hong Kong and KL and at the SG Night Fest 2017.
28 APRIL: 5pm: 5 Comedians @ 5 O'Clock
5 handpicked Comedians from the festival and our thriving KL Comedy Scene. 60-minute non-stop laughter guaranteed:
- 7pm: Manila Mayhem. A Comedy Showcase of 2 of the very best from the happiest country in the region featuring GB Labrador & Alex Calleja.
Alex Calleja: No topic is safe. From the hardships of marriage, to hardships in living in Manila, to Zombies hardships (seriously), he finds what is funny and amplifies it with outrageous act outs and all out delivery.
GB Labrador. Recently performed at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival - GB Labrador is a force to be reckoned with having rocked stages not only in Australia but also Singapore, Hong Kong & Malaysia including Harith Iskanders '...Laugh Malaysia" show in KK!
- 10pm: "Halal-Lujah" with Rizal van Geyzel feat. Papi Zak. Crackhouse co-founder hosts this late nighter with Papi Zak featuring as well.
29 APRIL: 5pm: 5 Comedians @ 5 O'Clock
The title says it… 5 handpicked Comedians from the festival or from our thriving KL Comedy Scene. 60-minute non-stop laughter guaranteed!
- 7pm: All-Star Hack the Crack. No material, no preparation, just 100% pure comedy improve by some of the best in this fest. Games like ‘Joke Thief and ‘Sucker Punchlines’ will be played. Audience participation very much encouraged.
- 10pm: Peter Berner (AUS) feat. Brian Tan. Peter Berner is without a doubt one of Australia's most popular and respected comics and broadcasters, having performed his unique brand of comedy across Australia for nearly three decades and hosted iconic television shows and radio programs. Peter started his career as a stand-up comedian in 1988 and has performed at various prestigious festivals, including the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, the Sydney Comedy Festival, the Adelaide Comedy Festival and Just For Laughs - just to name a few.
30 APRIL: BEST OF MALAYSIA
The ‘Cream of the Crop’ from Malaysia’s thriving Comedy Scene. Hosted by Prakash Daniel and featuring Brian Tan, Dr Jason Leong, Keren Bala Devan, Papi Zak, Phoon Chi Ho, Rizal van Geyzel, Shamaine Othman and Sulaiman Azmil.
1 MAY: The Gala Bonanza
featuring Ahmen Ahmed (EGY/US), Alex Calleja (PH), GB Labradr (PH), Peter Berner (AUS), Rizal ven Geyzal (MAS), Sam See (SG and Sharul Channa (SG). This show is dedicated to the die-hard crackheads who have supported Crackhead from the start.
- Ahmed Ahmed: Egyptian-American actor, comedian, producer, and director Ahmed Ahmed is one of the most diverse, multi-faceted talents in the entertainment industry today. Ahmed gained fame with the Axis of Evil Comedy Tour, a highly acclaimed comedy tour aimed to stop prejudice towards Middle Easterners thorough comedy.
- Alex Calleja: As seen on Comedy Central Asia and a finalist at Laugh Factory’s Funniest Person Competition, Alex is a Comedy force of nature.
- GB Labrador: Recently performed at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival - GB Labrador is a force to be reckoned with having rocked stages not only in Australia but also Singapore, Hong Kong & Malaysia including Harith Iskanders '...Laugh Malaysia" show in KK!
- Peter Berner: His intelligent humour has always set him apart as a performer who can comfortably straddle comedy styles as disparate as satire, observational comedy and reactive comedy with ease.
- Rizal van Geyzel: Rizal van Geyzel is a strong presence in Malaysia's thriving stand-up comedy scene and is well known as the co-founder of Crackhouse Comedy Club and One Mic Stand. He has performed internationally in over eight countries and regularly performs in intimate club gigs as well as concert venues in front of thousands of people.
- Sam See: Sam See is part of the region’s new wave of stand-up comedians, with the wit, skill, and liver capacity to entertain audiences of all kinds. Based in Singapore, he has opened for comedians like Harith Iskander, Bert Kreischer, Gina Yashere, Kevin Bridges, Dara Ó Briain & Ed Byrne. He has also performed in numerous comedy festivals in Asia, including the Singapore Comedy Fringe Festival, Manila Improv Festival and the Kuala Lumpur International Comedy Festival.
- Sharul Channa: A trained actor from La Salle College of the Arts, and Communications Graduate from the University of Buffalo, Sharul is one of the most sought after talents in Singapore as well as Singapore͛s first ever, female stand-up comic and a versatile host. She has headlined shows in multiple countries notably in Australia where she was invited along the MICF Roadshow which toured the whole of Australia and Asia.
: 1st Floor, 24A, Lorong Rahim Kajai 14 Taman Tun Dr Ismail, KL
For more details of events visit: https://peatix.com/group/74077/events . Tickets start from RM30 upwards per show or RM400 All Access Pass online plus details from https://crackhouse4thbirthday.peatix.com.